Neck fat also known as submental fat is a condition that occurs in some people when a layer of fats starts to accumulate below your chin. The main cause of neck fat is normal weight gain and you do not need to be overweight to have one. Aging people may also develop neck fat due to genetics or loose skin. The following are the steps on how to lose neck fat.
There are different exercises that you can do that only target the neck fat. These exercises have no scientific evidence but have anecdotal evidence. The six exercises we are going to look at may help tone the muscles around your neck area. Make sure to repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times daily.
- Bottom Jaw Jut: Start by tilting your head backward till you see the ceiling. Turn your head to the left and slide your bottom jaw forward. Hold for 10 seconds and then release. Repeat the process with your head facing to the Left.
- Tongue Stretch: Look straight ahead and stick out your as far as possible then lift it towards your nose. Hold it for 10 seconds then release.
- Ball Exercise: Place a 10-inch ball under your chin then press your chin against the ball and repeat 25 times daily.
- Neck Stretch: Turn your head to the back and look at the ceiling. Press your tongue on the roof of your mouth and hold for 10 seconds then release.
- Straight Jaw Jut: Tilt your head backward and look at the ceiling. Stretch your lower jaw forward till you feel a stretch under your chin. Hold it there for 10 seconds then relax your jaw and return your head to the neutral position.
- Pucker Up: Tilt your head back and look at the ceiling. Pucker your lips upwards as of you are kissing the ceiling. This will stretch the area beneath your chin. Do it for 10 seconds then bring your head to the neutral position.
Watch Your Diet
If you have a fat neck because of weight gain, then you need to lose some weight and it will get rid of your neck fat. Make sure that you watch your diet and eat healthy. Some healthy guidelines may include eat low-fat dairy foods, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, proteins, healthy fats and avoid fried and processed foods. Also, reduce your sugar intake.
Your doctor may recommend using other procedures such as lipolysis or mesotherapy to help reduce neck fat. Lipolysis is a procedure where heat from a laser is used to melt down fat and contour your skin. Lipolysis is used to reduce neck fat and does not remove excess skin.
Mesotherapy on the other hand is a procedure where small amounts of fat-dissolving compounds are injected. Deoxycholic acid can be injected to help your body absorb fats. This procedure should be performed by an experienced doctor or dermatologist otherwise the process can go wrong.
If you want to reduce neck fat, you should eat healthy and exercise regularly. If you cannot afford to go through the treatment procedures, then you should be patient as the neck fat cannot disappear overnight. Make sure to maintain a healthy weight and your neck fat will reduce.